Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome to Foodgasm!

     Hello, my name is John and I am a Foodaholic. (All in unison......Hello John). I like to eat, nay, to dine. I feel that sitting down to a wonderful meal and cocktails in the company of people I enjoy socializing with, is one of the best uses of my time and energy.
     I decided to start this Blog for a few reasons. I want to share some of my favorite dining experiences with you, along with my reviews of local restaurants in the Miami area, and other random daily observations I may make. I have all sorts of stuff crammed up in my noggin, just itching to get out.
     Well, let's just jump right in shall we? Today, we are going to discuss steak. MMMMM......Steak..........One of the seven natural food wonders of the world. Seriously, who doesn't like steak? Oh, by the way, if you are vegan and reading my blog.......just move along. We will be discussing the consumption of delicious dead animal flesh at length in upcoming posts. At any rate, so many different types of steaks to choose from. Which cut is your favorite? I am partial to the New York strip cut. Some prefer the Rib eye, while others go for the Porterhouse. Many enjoy the latter two because the steak is "On the bone", and this is supposed to impart more flavor to the meat. I still love my strip before all others. I want to share some of my favorite steak eating experiences from my carnivore career, along with some tips on how to make a "Steak House" steak at home.
     Steak Houses in order from best to worst. Top three today, the balance tomorrow.
1- Craftsteak, Las Vegas.
     Inside the MGM Grand lies what I can only describe as the Mecca of Steak Houses. Owner/Chef Tom Colicchio has put together a menu that transcends the taste buds, and goes straight to other regions, causing yes that's right FOODGASMS galore. Myself, my gorgeous, lovely, incredibly sweet girlfriend, and our favorite couple, Amado and Odalys, dined here one particular evening. The decor was warm and understated. Our waiter arrived and made some cocktail suggestions. We took him up on his varied selection of mixed martinis. After a couple of rounds and some great conversation, we decided that we would go with the Kobe/Wagyu tasting menu for four. I am cleaning up accumulating puddles of drool off of my desk just writing this. For those that do not know, Wagyu beef is considered the most tender and most flavorful beef in the world. Kobe/Wagyu, originated in the Kobe region of Japan. The cows are given massages daily, and are given a very exclusive diet that features LOTS and LOTS of BEER! This causes the cows flesh to have a tremendous amount of marbling. Marbling equals fat deposits throughout the tissue which in turn equals steak so good, you gonna wanna slap yo mama. But I digress. I just felt the need to interject a little education there. This tasting menu consisted of four cuts of beef, four sides, and six desserts. First up, the MEAT. We all sampled New York Strip, Flat Iron, Porterhouse, and Skirt steaks. They were all divine. The best one you ask? Well.....it wasn't the New York. I vividly remember placing the first bite of Skirt steak into my mouth and as my mandibles began to masticate, I recall my eyes welling with tears of joy. This was arguably the most pleasurable bite of food I have ever placed in my mouth. I think at one point I may have seen Vishnu, but it's hard to tell. The sides were amazing as well, high lighted by a delicious sauteed broccoli rabe, and a potato puree that was like......pun intended......BUTTAH. The chefs selection of desserts was just as good as the rest of the meal. If in Vegas, Craftsteak is a MUST DO!!!!!!! Do not let the $100+ per person dissuade you. This is a once in a lifetime dining experience. On a scale of 1 to 10, we are talking 11 here.
     2-Prime 112, South Beach, Florida
     Hands down the best steakhouse in Miami. This smallish building, sits on 112 Ocean Drive. You can choose to dine inside, or Al fresco. All the Miami movers and shakers come here, and it is great for people watching. As you walk in, you are greeted by the decor which is chic and casual at the same time. Here you will enjoy a vast array of Dry Aged beef. Dry Aging is a process that can take from 14 to 45 days and ensures that the meat will have a strong, developed, depth of flavor. There is authentic Japanese Kobe steak on the menu as well, but at $30 an ounce, with a two ounce minimum, I stick with the dry aged option. The steak here is above reproach. It is perfectly delicious and worth every penny. However, what sets Prime 112 apart from the rest of the pack is it's whimsical approach to it's sides, sauces, and compound butters that accompany the entrees. Gorgonzola, Smoked Bacon, Onion Truffle, Garlic & Herb, and Foie Gras compound butters are all available to try with your steak. They in some cases, really transform the flavor of the meat, and take the traditional steak to a new direction. Desserts are also whimsical in nature, highlighted by the deep fried Oreo cookies. Not for the calorie conscious, but ohhhhhhhhh so good. All in all, a great night out with friends and/or your significant other. On the Foodgasm scale from 1-10......a solid 9.
     3- Capital Grill, Miami, Fl. And various locations across the U.S.
     This IS you daddy's steakhouse. As soon as you walk in, you are greeted by mahogany lined walls, animal heads, and brass everywhere. Although Capital Grill got its start in  Providence Rhode Island, (Thank you FuschiaGoddess for correcting me), it has a very official D.C. kind of feel. You can definately imagine politicians and power brokers dining here and cutting some major deals that would influence the course of national events. I am not saying it's stuffy, rather classy in a very "Old School" kind of way. The food is always spot on. I have never had a bad meal here, and the service is usually way above par. Again, we have the dry aged beef line up that is common in high end steak houses. The bar fare is quite good, and the appetizers and sides are what you would expect from a "Traditional" steak house. The meat is tender and flavorful. There is really no need to dress up a perfectly cooked cut of steak, and I take that minimalist approach when dining here. The dessert menu highlight is a flourless chocolate cake that is so dense and laden with chocolate flavor, it will make your toes curl. On the Foodgasm scale from 1-10.......an 8.5.
     Tomorrow I will round out my list of best steak houses to visit. I hope you enjoyed my initial Blog, and I invite all comments, and suggestions. I hope to have a lot of fun with this new venture, and I hope to bring all who read it some enjoyment, and useful information as well. Until our next Foodgasm.........Eat well.

6 comments:

  1. Great first post !!

    I agree 100% on your description of Craftsteak Vegas - I'd also add its sister location, Craftsteak Foxwoods. One teeny correction, from a RI'er. Capitol Grille's 1st location was in Providence. We don't have tons of foodie havens here, so we're rather possessive of the ones we DO have. (If you're wondering, I'm a bone in ribeye w/ extra roasted marrow bones type)

    I don't know a lot about the food scene in Miami and am looking forward to reading your posts/reviews !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fuschia! I am going to be making some corrections on my original post and putting up my second post sometime today. Your comment was truly appreciated. Feel free to follow me on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog even though I hate steak!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, you know I know food and can cook my butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now your makin me HUNGRY
    Any places up here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a Capital Grill in Orlando, and if you are in the mood for Italian take the Missus to Maggianos Little Italy. Superb.

    ReplyDelete